Save on Utility Bills with Solar Street Lighting for Streets & Roadways.
Green Frog Systems Solar Street Lighting Systems deliver reliable high performance illumination for streets, roadways, parks and all types of outdoor recreational spaces.
They are an effective alternative to traditional lighting systems, as they do not require costly trenching or cabling to be installed.
Tell us about your Solar Street Lighting requirements here >>
- → Solar Street Lights & Street Lighting Kits designed & engineered in Australia for the US market, can run all night in any weather conditions
- → We are the Leading name in solar street lighting design and the pioneers of the do-it-yourself solar street lighting kits.
- → Field tested technology. Proven to withstand the harshest conditions across Australia.
- → Solid reputation built on sound advice and technical expertise. We can design solar street lighting solutions from planning right up to production.
- → We design & manufacture reliable, vandal and environment resistant Solar Street Lights for streets, roadways, intersections, car-parks, bike trails and paths.
- → We have a range of solar street lights to suit almost any application. Whether your project is a path, roadway or car park, we have proven solar powered solutions to suit your project in a ‘everything required for install’ kit form that can be assembled by almost anyone.
- → Produces the Same or better lighting levels than conventional Street Lights
- → Easy to Install – Save Time & Money
- → Plug-N-Play IP-68 Connectors for Easy Install.
- → No Cabling or Trenching Required
- → Low Voltage – No Electrician Required
- → Flood & Vandal Resistant
Solar Street Light Operation
Solar street lights operate throughout the night by collecting PV energy (Converting light (photons) to electricity (voltage) is called the photovoltaic or PV effect). This occurs via the solar panels mounted either at the top of the pole or in some cases mid way up the post. The solar panels convert both direct and indirect sunlight into electricity which is stored in batteries throughout the day.
Solar Lights detect dusk and commence Night Mode Operation by sensing the drop in solar charge voltage upon the panel, once it drops below a certain rate of charge the intelligent solar charge controller detects that the charge cycle is complete and illuminates the light automatically.
The Night Mode Operation cycle continues throughout the night or until the solar panels detect light when the detection of voltage coming from the solar panel will switch the solar street light off and begin re-charging the batteries for the next nights operation.
The solar street light solar charge controller can be custom programmed with timer settings such as on / off dim or interval time settings. By default the charge controller will keep the light on from dusk until dawn.
For areas that are subject to extreme weather conditions there are engineered Hurricane Rated Solar Street Lights available, specifically designed for areas that are prone to extreme conditions such as hurricanes, cyclones, heavy storms and high winds.
SOLAR STREET LIGHTING PRODUCTS
Solar Street Lights – The largest of the solar lighting products we offer coming in two main sizes. The biggest street light available is the GFS-400, a 28ft solar street light is as tall as a street light and can be used for large parking lots, intersections and can run at either 30W, 60W or 90W. Other applications include the illumination of streets, roads, mine sites, perimeters, sports grounds, industrial process lighting and stock yards.
Most applications won’t demand something as big as the GFS-400 and rather go for the smaller yet just as robust reliability of the GFS-200 20 ft solar street light. This unit is shipped as a low voltage DIY lighting kit and can be installed by just about anyone without requiring an electrician. 4 simple color coded plugs will commission this unit and they are IP-68 rated waterproof click connectors capable of withstanding total immersion from flooding. The possible uses for this type of lighting are huge, not only for the illumination of streets as the name suggests but also for all types of roadways, bike trails and pathways, minor intersections, public spaces, parks, picnic areas, caravan parks, coastal footpaths and laneways, the list goes on!
What to look for when buying a Solar Street Light
- Quality Materials & Construction – 3mm steel for street light poles are the minimum anyone should seriously consider if there is any chance of vandalism or high winds. One indication that solar lighting has been designed somewhere other than Australia is a sub-standard pole that simply will not last the Australia conditions for as long as you’d probably like it to. Cutting corners on something like this puts people and property at risk, cheaper poles may be cheaper but you need to consider whether you’d be prepared to stand under it during a storm or windy conditions.
- Environmental Resistance – Look for a good level of environmental resistance; remember these things are going to be outside for a long time hopefully! So, depending on where you are situated a hot-dipped galvanized steel is probably the most resistant finish. Elements like rain and flooding are far less likely to effect or damage this type of finish compared to untreated or painted steel. Marine-grade powder coated finish is sometimes applied over a galvanized finish, and if it’s good quality paintwork, this can also take a beating, even in salt-rich coastal environments.
- IP Rating – If you’re planning to install in a particularly demanding environment then it’s important to check the IP rating. IP rating stands for ingress protection, which defines the levels of sealing effectiveness of electrical enclosures against intrusion from foreign bodies (tools, dirt etc) and moisture. This will tell you how resistant you’re solar light will be to things like humidity, salt from coastal locations, wind and dust in cyclone regions.
- Pole Height Options – Make sure various pole heights are offered; increasing the pole or mounting height of your solar street lighting will allow the light to cover a greater area. This is particularly useful if you are only seeking to use your solar street light for general lighting in areas such as parks and industrial grounds because it will require less lights in total to cover the same area.
- Fully Autonomous Operation – Any solar street light that requires the solar charge controller to be manually adjusted or reset is only going to give you trouble. Only purchase something that guarantees minimal maintenance once the unit has been commissioned as this will save you trouble in the long run.
- End to End DC Operation – Some solar lights will convert DC current from the solar panels into 240V AC (at a 10% loss) These systems are wasteful and require an electrician to install because of the 240v components. Try and stick with a 12VDC system, that way you’ll be able to install or service the unit yourself.
Key Features of Green Frog Systems Solar Street Lights
>> How we ensure our off-grid solar street lights outperform other LED solar lights on the market. Some of those key features include >>
- High quality construction – robust steel structure with a hot-dipped galvanized finish to ensure maximum environmental resistance even in salt-rich coastal conditions.
- Currently installed across Australia and the South Pacific including PNG in high humidity, coastal and hurricane regions.
- Various heights and options are available up to 28ft running at 90w full brightness all night.
- Fully autonomous operation requiring virtually no maintenance once the unit has been commissioned.
- LED Light head is independent from the solar panel which can be rotated for maximum solar yield.
Advantages of Solar Powered Street Lighting
>> We have outlined some of the benefits and advantages of using solar street lights for lighting streets, paths and minor roads >>
- No trenching or cabling required! Using LED solar lights can save you time and money in planning and execution of a lighting project by eliminating expensive mains cable installation costs and grid connection costs.
- Environmentally responsible. Minimizes your carbon footprint.
- No unnecessary green-house gas emissions.
- Makes full usage of the green, free solar energy available to us all.
- Eliminate ongoing expenses associated with grid powered street lights.
- Can be safely installed in remote areas where mains power is unavailable, unreliable or difficult to access.